(SYSTEMATIC MODERNISATION OF ATM RESOURCES IN TURKEY)
The SMART project was developed to procure, over the next 20 years, ATC Infrastructure requirements of Turkey, with some assistance from Eurocontrol SIS (Stakeholder Implementation Services Unit). This project is continuing at present.
KEYSTONES OF SMART
- On 19 September 2006 a contract was signed between the DHMi and the SELEX-IC çtafl consortium. Work began on 26 September 2006 with the delivery of the Ankara ACC site.
- SMART comprises two phases, being the Interim and Main (SMART) parts. Interim modernisation will be finished in one year, while the single Ankara ACC and new APP facilities will be finished in three years.
- The systems will be under the responsibility of Selex for two years between provisional and final acceptance.
- Two years guarantee after final acceptance.
WHY IS THERE A MODERNISATION REQUIREMENT?
The DHMi, as the ATS provider of Turkey, has decided to modernise the ATM to provide more:
- Future CNS strategies satisfaction
SMART system advantages:
- Single Ankara ACC
- Open system (Asterix)
- All hardware Linux-based
- Capacity expansion
CURRENT TURKISH ATM INFRASTRUCTURE
In the frame of Turkish air traffic control radar coverage project, two en-route control centres and six approach control centres were procured in 1990.
En-route control centres
- Ankara ACC centre
- stanbul ACC centre
Approach control centres
- Ankara APP centre
- stanbul APP centre
- Antalya approach control centre
- Dalaman approach control centre
- zmir approach control centre
- KKTC Ercan approach control centre
CONTEXT OF THE PROJECT
- SDPS (Surveillance Data Processing System) (local tracker and ARTAS)
- FDPS (Flight Data Processing System)
- Safety nets [STCA (Short-Term Conflict Alert, APW (Area Proximity Warning), MSAW (Minimum Safe Altitude Warning), etc.] and MTDC (Medium-Term Conflict Detection)
- HMI (Human Machine Interface)
- Recording & Replay
- CWP (Controller working positions)
- VCS (voice communication systems).
NEW APP SYSTEMS AND BUILDINGS TO:
- Single Ankara ACC-APP
- Ankara Esenboa Airport (only TWR)
- stanbul Atatürk Airport (TWR-APP)
- Çorlu, Sabiha Gökçen, Yeniflehir, Adana, Gaziantep, Erzincan, Erzurum, Trabzon, Van, Geçitkale Airports (only TWR)
- Adnan Menderes Airport (TWR-APP)
- Dalaman Airport (TWR-APP)
- Antalya Airport (TWR-APP)
- Milas-Bodrum Airport (TWR-APP)
- KKTC Ercan Airport (ACC, APP, TWR)
- Other peripherals (ADNC, FIC, AIS, CAOC, FMP, VIP, HQ, revenue, ramp ofis, etc.).
WHAT IS COVERED BY SMART?
NEW ANKARA ACC-APP CENTRE
- A new building with new ATC systems in Ankara. With SMART, several current Turkish ACC's are going to be merged into one new center.
- The new ACC-APP building aims to control the all Turkish airspace from one center, maintaining a faster, safer, and more reliable and modern service with more capacity in a technically feasible system.
The operations room (OPS) will be 1,000 m2 in the new Ankara ACC/APP building, containing the following equipment:
- 30 CWP (Controller Working Positions) for ACC sectors
- 6 CWP for APP
- 3 CWP for military controllers
- 4 CWP for centre supervisor
- 11 CWP for spare positions
- 4 CWP for FDA
- Predicted extension area for 30 CWP.
The foreseen area of the OPS-Support Rooms is around 7,500 m2 distributed as follows:
- 1,850m2: ATC systems room
- 550m2: Offices related with OPS
- 500m2: Simulator and training rooms
- 2,100m2: Building technical requirements (HVAC, fire etc.)
- 1,000m2: Maintenance areas (shops, depot and offices)
- 450m2: Electrical aux. Areas (EPS, UPS, batteries)
- 800m2: Medical support area, showers, rest rooms, cabinets, visitor areas etc.
- 250m2: Social areas (for sports and other activities).
TURKISH ATC MODERNISATION PROJECT (NEW ATC SYSTEMS FOR ANKARA ACC/APP AND OTHER APPs)
The project foresees new ATC systems for the following control centres.
- New Ankara ACC/APP
- Ankara TWR
- stanbul APP
- stanbul Atatürk TWR
- zmir APP/TWR
- Antalya APP/TWR
- Dalaman APP/TWR
- Bodrum TWR
The system requirement is likely to cover the following functions:
- Radar data processing and distribution
- Flight data processing and distribution
- Safety nets (short-term conflict alert, minimum safe altitude warning, airspace proximity warning) and other controller tools (monitoring aids, medium-term conflict detection)
- System monitoring and control
- Environmental data management and distribution
- Human-machine interface
- Recording, replay and data analysis.